The original project
Postcard from 1923, with the hotel visible according to its original project
"Our Lady of Sorrows Villa”
It was built to serve as the private home of António Júdice de Magalhães Barros, a local fishing and canning industry businessman (1879-1960) and it was inaugurated in February of 1918 in a ceremony that included the presence of the President of the Portuguese Republic at the time, Sidónio Pais, as the guest of honour. It was then called "Our Lady of Sorrows Villa", and in it Magalhães de Barros’ five daughters grew up and it was the stage of many memorable events, including visits by artists and politicians.
In 1934, Henrique Bivar de Vasconcelos, the original owner’s cousin, turned it into a hotel. And the Bela Vista was born, the first hotel in the Algarve.